Monday, June 23, 2008

Ah Ha Moment!


A very private - public journal entry...I hope you can appreciate too.

I had an "Ah Ha Moment" yesterday as I was teaching the 12 and 13 year-old girls at church. I think Oprah coined the phrase - "Ah Ha Moment" - but anyway, I had one.
I taught the girls about OBEDIENCE and how Obedience is the First Law of Heaven. That's pretty important.
Boyd K. Packer said, "Obedience to God can be the highest expression of independence. Just think of giving to Him the one thing, the one gift, that He would never take... Obedience - that which God will never take by force - He will freely accept when freely given. And he will then return to you freedom to do, and the freedom to BE, at least a thousand fold more than we offer Him. Strangely enough, the key to freedom is OBEDIENCE."
So - when we obey were are GUARANTEED blessings (they may not come immediately - but they do come.) Some of the blessings that come because of obedience are peace and happiness... - I will take those blessing any day!
But here is the "Ah Ha Moment" - The blessings we receive from being obedient are worth more than any sacrifice we have to make!!! Wow!! Read that one more time!
That means - for example - keeping the sabbath day holy will bring greater blessings that are WORTH MORE than any success on any playing field, on any stage or any amusement park or recreational area!! The blessings are worth more!!!!
If I would have just really KNOWN that as a teenager I would have saved myself from so much hurt, heartache and sorrow! And now as a Mom this lesson is still valid!!!
I had a special moment yesterday and I need to pull out a journal!!! But until then - this will have to do!
The gospel does NOT restrict us - it's our pathway to Freedom!!!

2 comments:

..Kris Naven.. said...

So true! It is so cool that you get to teach the 12-13 year old girls! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Some people never understand that. They spend their whole life trying to get it, but just never do. I was able to hear the lesson in a ward conference, and I think a few girls there got it. Obedience brings happiness!!
Julie C.