Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Joy of Cooking

Aren't we supposed to enjoy cooking, nay, love cooking? Aren't we, as women, supposed find satisfaction in a home-cooked meal that tastes like it could be gourmet? Shouldn't we have clean homes, and well-kept children? When our husbands come home from a long hard day (from sitting behind a desk) shouldn't we great them at the door with a kiss? Couldn't we have dinner on the table with candles lit and everyone sitting around waiting for the master of the house to return and take his place at the head of the table.
(This is the part where you hear tires screech...or is it the needle playing a vinyl record slipping?)
Anyways this is where reality sets in.
I don't know about your house, but my house is nothing like this, except for the part of..."waiting for the master of the house to return..." It seems as though the whole day goes pretty well until that last 15 minutes before he is supposed to come home. Then all heck brakes loose! The phone is ringing off the hook, dinner is burning, someone is crying and I can't find the phone! Oftentimes distractions keep me from figuring out dinner until dinner time. But if you think about it, dinner isn't that hard. For me, it's pick a meat (and a way to prepare it), pick a starch, and pick a vegetable. No brainer right? See, the hard part comes when I long for Lasagna, Casseroles and anything with milk, cheese, or sour cream. Sometimes it is difficult in finding 'The Joy of Cooking' where the choices seem limited for those who cannot eat milk products. But, come to find out my choices aren't as limited if I just use a little creativity.

So, in keeping up with my quest for my "Yea, it's Monday!", every Monday I will be trying a new recipe. And because you are so lucky ;) I want to share! What I prepared yesterday I had at the home of my friend's mother. It was excellent and I absolutely loved it! Sorry I don't have a picture!

CHICKEN ALMONDINE (all-muh-deen)
3-4 Chicken Breasts
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 stack Crushed Ritz Crackers
Slivered Almonds

Mix sour cream and soup and pour over chicken. Melt butter and pour over. Sprinkle with crackers and almonds.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees in 9x13 pan.

For our lactose intolerant friends I made my own Cream of Chicken Soup...and IMO Sour Cream. I also served the chicken over rice but it was served with mashed potatoes the first time I had it.
It's good with anything! It's just plain good! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to try the recipe. I can actually find all the ingredients out here. Maybe this weekend...

Lisa said...

Ahh. Cooking. So true, so true! I love your comments, Cristy. Did you like, major or minor is English? You should be a writer! ;)
But true, all heck breaks loose just before the "master of the house" gets home. I thrive on my menus. I plan the dinner meals for the whole month, then go shopping every other weekend for 2 weeks. Works great! and saves money, too. But, for the less diligent, I suggest keep you "choice basic staples" available and some no fail recipes handy. And PLEASE, try something new at least once a month! (Does wonders for the kids' taste buds! or tummies, if they so choose not to eat!)

..Kris Naven.. said...

Yeah my Mommy's yummy reciepe! I'll have to tell her she's famous now! Love you!

Unknown said...

I finally got around to trying this recipe and it turned out great. I had to substitute the Ritz crackers for a Dutch version, but it worked out just fine. I'm looking forward to future recipes! :)