Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Who Is Stephenie Meyer?


A few week ago I posted a poll on the side of the blog asking "Do you love Stephenie Meyer?" So, for those of you who don't know who this woman is....let me share.

Stephenie Meyer is a mother of 3 from Arizona. She is from a family of 8 and she graduated from BYU... Oh Yeah! She is also the author of the Twilight series.
It has been a long time since I read a book that I literally could not stop reading. She is an excellent writer and story teller. I have recommended this book to many friends, all of whom have loved it, and one that borderline....loves it a little too much. ;) (you know who you are!)
I have seen these books in all the major bookstores. They are being sold as teen romance novels. And while I would love every one of my friends to read these books...a have a few reservations about teens reading it. Let me explain.
At Christmas time my sister-in-law was asking my sisters and I if we had read the books. One of my sisters and I had read the entire series and the other sister was on the second book. All at once we told her that she needs to read these books. When the question was asked if the book was a appropriate for a 14-year-old we all went, "uhmmmm..." There are a few things that could be "teaching moments" for teens. While there isn't anything morally graphic or risque there are some things that one could rationalize because "mom and dad gave me these books for Christmas...so it must be okay." If you have read the book and still don't know what I am talking about, let me spell it out for you. IN MY OPINION....(gospel according to ME) 1. a boy should not be in a girls room, 2. a boy should not be in a girls room at night, 3. when boy and girl are together 4 feet should always remain on the floor. Some of you are probably rolling your eyes right now, but A LOT of teens are reading this book and these 3 things lead to other things that don't need to!
So, as I am coming back down off my soapbox, let me just tell you that if you do read these books I promise you that you will fall in love again. You will fall in love with reading (try it Sparky! I promise!), you will renew your belief in the idea of a 'soul-mate', and the word 'Vampire' will never mean the same thing again.

6 comments:

Bret said...

I'll admit that I was one that had voted "Who is Stephenie Meyer", but since then I have actually figured it out. No, I haven't read the books, but this subject came up amongst my family. I was shocked when I learned that I have actually met her, but it was before she was a Meyer. I met her on Thanksgiving probably about 15 years ago when she was engaged to my brother Michael. They called off the engagement and I really don't remember much about her. Crazy huh?

Lisa said...

Cristy, Who is "Sparky"? The name sounds familar! Anyway, glad I stopped in. I LOVE the Twilight series, as you well know! and I'll finish New Moon (for the THIRD TIME) today. Nick bought me my own copy for Christmas so I don't have to "borrow" from my girlfriend. My mother-in-law agreed to read them only after I've read my own copy once. So, for the third time, I'll begin Eclipse probably today. LOVE 'em! JULIE-- YOU'VE GOT TO READ THESE BOOKS!!! P.S. Haven't talked to you in like, FOREVER! How are you?

Cristy said...

SPARKY-
This series is perfect for those who don't like to read because they are so well written you won't be able to help but love them.

AND RYAN-
Read them anyway! If it helps don't think of her in H.S. She's really a JUNIOR in COLLEGE! Does that help? But Edward is still 17 so that just got creepy. Good job Ryan...! (this is me shaking me head.)

..Kris Naven.. said...

Yes, I know I am that friend who loves it just a little too much! But I can't help it! When I love something, I really Looovvveee something! And don't worry I will teach my sons the rules, and they will always keep 4 feet on the floor! Lol!

Ammon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten said...

I love these books...they are awesome and I made Ammon read them all too. I love your description at the end about the books...I might have to refer people to your blog when I do my bit to explain the poll I have had on our page!! ;) I had our book club read twilight and one of the woman actually called it "cocaine for Mormon women"! Nuts huh?? I might have to agree that I can't get enough of it though and I can't wait for the fourth book!!!!