President Gordon B. Hinckely (1910-2008)

The World, along with my family, mourns the loss of our dear prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. While he was not the prophet of my childhood, he was the prophet of my most impressionable years; the teenage years. I always looked forward to hearing his message, seeing his smiling face and laughing at his good humor.

He was my prophet. I had the rare opportunity of not being more than 5 feet from his side just after he dedicated my temple. 5 days later I was married in that temple. How fortunate we are that his mission was to dot the earth with temples. He truly had a divine destiny that he accomplished.
His love for his sweet bride was inspiring. That reunion must have been a sweet one! May we all love our mates as they did. Whole-heartily!

My sweet Grandma Garrett was the same age as President Hinckley and went to the same middle school as the prophet. I remember the twinkle in her eye every time she spoke of it. They will both be missed!
Yesterday my Stake President during ward conference told the congregation that the Prophet would soon leave us. How inspired he was. He also talked about the goodness of President Hinckley. He said that his happiness and goodness was not magical. His happiness came from doing the little things. Reading his scriptures daily, meaningful prayers, and family home evening; the needful things.
Today I want to be a little better. Read my scriptures a little more, spend a little more time on my knees, and be a little more faithful in having family home evening. Just like President Hinckley I can be a little more kind to others and a little kinder to myself.
3 comments:
I, too, mourn our loss. Yet still, I look forward to a new day, a new era, a new Prophet, a new temple.
(Referring to the Rexburg, Idaho Temple to be dedicated next sunday, February 3rd.) The Lord has bless my valley, my area with a tender mercy. The open house ended Saturday, this week they clean the temple, and this week we can take time to reflect and mourn our dearly loved Prophet.
That was beautifully said...I just posted a blog on him too, and after I did, I thought cristy probably did too, and sure enough you did! Love you, and our Prophet will be missed, but I know he is in a better place.
Thanks for your wonderful tribute to our prophet. He was an inspiration to all of us. May we be a little better each day!
Post a Comment