Thursday, January 17, 2008

What if it Were You?


Today I am more thankful for the freedoms that living in the United States offers. I am most thankful for my life.

Sometimes I can get too comfortable with how I live my life and I forget how others are living theirs. I was reminded of this yesterday as I met a sweet mother. She had two little ones and she lives not far from me. We are similar in many ways. We both have two children similar in age. We don't have family near. We are LDS. We are women who are trying to raise good children. But, there is one thing that we don't have in common. In a month, she will not see her husband for 1 year! He is going to serve our country by fighting the war in Iraq. When she mentioned this tears welled up in my eyes. My thought was, what if I were her. Could I do that? I was proud of myself for going to Disneyland without my hubby's help. But a entire year? All baths, all tantrums, all meals, all everything...just me?

I respect every member of the armed forces for their sacrifices on behalf of...me. And now I have a new respect...a greater respect for those at home who are fighting in a different way.

No comments: