Thursday, January 10, 2008

Continual Learning...

Have you ever driven by a school you used to go to and said to yourself, "I am so glad that I don't go there anymore?" When I lived in Fresno I always said that when I drove by the 5 schools I attended there. I loved school after I was sitting in the classroom (unless the teacher didn't speak English) but I was overjoyed when I no longer had to attend. In someways I thought that because I received diplomas from each place, my learning was complete. I payed for those pieces of paper and I am proud of it! : )
So...here we are a few years later I just learned something new. I actually learned it going to the book club I belong to. I learn everyday from my children, but this was different.
When I moved to Lathrop I joined a book club because I thought I liked to read. I read the assigned book, Mama's Bank Account and loved it. I went to book club and we discussed the book and I loved it even more.


This book affected me so much that I even gave it away as a gift. I underlined all the wonderful things in the book. I call them the little 'gems'. SO, I was was way excited about belonging to this book club. I hadn't really met anyone yet from the ward and the women that I met puts smiles on my face.

So, the next month I was excited to read the next book. It was Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. In one word the book was...painful! I am sorry if it's on your 10 ten but it was not my cup of tea....wait though....here's where the learning comes in. Even though I did not finish the book (I read the cliff notes though) I had a greater appreciation for the book after we discussed it. Some of the ladies LOVED it! They read passages that brought tears to our eyes and joy to our hearts. Learning, learning.
The next month we read Dreams of Trespass: Tales of Harem Girlhood by Fatima Mernissi and all I thought was painful, again. So I tried to change my strategy. When I go to book club the ladies usually talk about their favorite parts. But, that was hard for me because I was reading the books differently. I read with a pen. I underline the parts that teach me something. My little 'gems'. And that is what makes the book worthwhile. - Wait - I don't always read books with a pen...just the books I'm having a hard time getting through. Looking for the gems help me think the book it worth my time. Understand? I sound like a dork!
Well, I didn't think it was possible to have 3 painful books in a row. This past month our book was Life of Pi by Yann Martel. 3 painful books in a row! I still underlined the 'gems' and surprisingly this book had quite a few but I am the only one that read any of them at book club. The other ladies liked the story! I just tried to get through it! The whole time I was reading I kept thinking that if this was a movie I couldn't watch it because it would by Rated R!!!
So, here's the learning part. As I read these books I am learning from the little gems. Every book I have read in book club has had something to teach me. Whether it is about being a better mother, adapting to any situation, or that there is a survivor in all of us. When I go to book club I learn to appreciate the books more because of how the other ladies read them. I read the books and laugh at the appropriate times but I look for the lessons. I am just realizing this, so maybe the books in the upcoming months won't seem so painful! Bring it on Scarlet Pimpernel!
I also just figured out that I like Fluff!! At first I was offended by the word. Someone, whom I love dearly, called the Twilight series Fluff!!! I have now embraced the word. And I love Fluff! I love reading books that take me completely to another place. I love books that I can't stop reading and all I have to say is, "Here's to Fluff!"

2 comments:

Bret said...

I didn't like reading when I had to in school, and I still don't enjoy it. When do you even find free time to read? I'm lucky to squeeze in reading the Book of Mormon each day. I guess I can't imagine spending time reading a book that doesn't even interest me. Maybe someday in the future I will embrace reading and love it. As of now, my favorite (and Kristen's too) books to read are the Spot books. I just love lifting all the little flaps.

..Kris Naven.. said...

Amen to you sister for reading those other books...I couldn't do it! I love reading fluff! "Here's to fluff!" and Amen to that too! Love you, and thanks for introducing me to one of the fluffiest book series, that is now my most flufferific favorite series ever!