Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Midwest? You mean Really-Far-East!!

In 8th Grade I had Mr. um....Julie - what was his name? He lived around the corner from you...his wife was our Kindergarten Teacher's Aide?....not Mr. Wilson or was it? - nor Mr. Friend...he was the crazy math teacher...anyways...

In 8th I took Geography - and I did well. I am an excellent crammer for tests. I can memorize just about anything and do well on tests - but the downfall of that is that I don't retain all the short-term knowledge...
So that is why I had no idea where....

Indianapolis, Indiana
was!!!
And do you want to know why I didn't know?
BECAUSE IT IS SO DANG FAR!!!! Midwest? Whatever...you mean Really-far-east!!!!
Story:
Paul got a call last Friday (out of the blue) offering him a transfer within JCPenney. When he asked me to sit down I thought he had either lost his job - or we were moving to Texas (which I WOULD have been prepred for.) But I was shocked - which is an understatement!!! I immediately called my dad! My poor dad! I called him hysterical - on his first day of school! He told his students to hold on - told whomever walked into his classroom at that moment to hang on (it sounded like his principal!) because his daughter was having a "crisis" - he listened to me, gave me the BEST counsel and then THANKED me for calling him!! My storm clouds had lifted and the silver lining shined brighter.
My only other hurdle was telling my sisters. My family is who I will miss the most. There is nothing I love more than singing with my sisters - and that opportunity will not occur as often and that makes me sad.
Paul and I attended the Temple this past weekend and we had a very special experience. I know that where we are going is where we need to be. I am excited for the opportunity to grow and learn. I can't wait to see more of the country and the beauty of our United States. The church history sites will be more than just pictures on a page. I can't wait!!
AND....if you think about it - it's kind of funny that the closest person that I will know - will the the Ohio Rasmussen's! I can't wait to get to know Kirsten more! She impresses me more than any other blogger I know!!! I think she inspires all who know her. And her husband...well he's still the same boy that made me get in trouble for the first time in school! In first grade we would always get in trouble - for talking!!
Everything happens for a reason and there's always a purpose - I'm excited to realize more of my purpose!

13 comments:

..Kris Naven.. said...

I am so glad that you are happy with it now, and thanks again for telling me before you blogged about it! Lol! I will always appreciate everything that you have taught me (especially when it comes to the Church), we will miss having you guys here, and I know Elliott is going to really miss Aaron! But something bigger and better is waiting for you there in Indiana, and what a blessing the gospel is to be able to help you confirm that! Let us know if you need anything.

bretandjulie said...

Mr. Hall was the teacher. And I don't really understand how it is the "Midwest" either. Good luck with the move and packing... again. You must be really good at it by now. Hope Paul enjoys it there.

The Smith Family said...

Well, you'll likely be driving through Omaha on your way out (or are you flying?) so come visit us! We're not that far either!:) I think we're about 9 hours away. Good luck with everything, and seriously if you're coming through here it would be fun to see you guys (and we can show you the Winter Quarters temple and the Mormon Trail Center that's here in Omaha too!). Shoot me an email: adamandmelissa@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

so... what is it with the midwest? i mean it looks pretty east to me!! anyways i cant wait to see u guys!! i want to convince my parents that we should go help move you into your house but thats not looking very likely right now
=(. although its not like youre across the country or anything! lol!
<3 Kay

Lawrensons said...

You will love it out there. The summers are humid but beautiful! The only downfall is the snow. ewww. But even that you can get used to. I am surprized how I am getting used to Utah snow. But the people are super nice, seriously, so friendly! What a fun exciting time for you guys! Have fun moving!!!
Misty

Kirsten said...

Ok...what to say. First you made me cry...you are too kind. Second I am so excited for you guys! This opportunity will be none other like you have experienced. It is so hard to be away from family but the church becomes your family-a family almost as important as the other. And your family will make sacrifices to come see you. I thought we would never see ours and they have been a steady stream for about four years now. They will all get to see the church history sites now too because of your proximity to them. Snow...ha...you'll be JUST fine...your kids will thank you some day when they will have TRUE memories of snowman, sledding, snowball fights, a real white Christmas, etc!!!! You guys will be just great...will WILL need a coat, no doubt. Take Melissa up on the Omaha part...Winter Quarters is SO fun and a great experience. Aaron will love the dinosaurs at the Children's museum and we go and stay overnight at the indoor water park there too!! There is also a cool zoo with DOLPHINS no less!! IF all else fails, everyone told me in the beginning-you will now be closer to Adam ondi Aman (spelling is so off) and therefore all is well!!! LOL! ;-) Good luck and call if you need anything. My best friend told me there is a Costco there too! ;-) Do I have you convinced? NO worries...soon everyone will want to move out here!

Lawrensons said...

I thought you drank them all since you stopped writing on our blog. I thought you were too ashamed to show your face. It will be the longest 4 days of my life.
-Dustin

Lisa said...

Congratulations, Cristy! You will get used to the snow. But good luck, anyhow.
That sounds real radom to me, though. What the heck is in Indiana? I know it's more populated than, oh, I don't know, say, IDAHO, but, INDIANA?! Just sounds random to me. More details!

Lisa said...

oh, p.s. Cristy, in case you were interested, if you update your "bloglink" that has my link to it, it should update that a feed is availalbe and you can see when I update my blog. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Steve and I think it is Mr. Boyd. His wife worked at Eaton. Remember Him?Steve said he ran into him about 10 years after High School and he still remembered everyone's name in our family. And then he asked him, "Are you still paying your tithing?" Always friendly and very personable.Mom

Cristy said...

It was Mr. Hall - Mom! Mr. Boyd was the Science Teacher. He used to call me "sunshine." And he had so many ties that he never had to wear the same one twice. His wife was the one who had the HUGE hair-do!!

Lance and Celeste said...

Just keep blogging and atleast for me I'll never know you have moved.

kelly said...

I'm with you on that one, why they say mid-west makes no sense to me. Kirsten is awesome, definately inspirational! Good luck with your move.