Monday, August 25, 2008

BYU Education Week

Last week my sisters along with my Mother and I attended Education Week at BYU!! I have been uplifted, edified, and rejuvenated! We had such a wonderful time! There were a variety of classes that were JUST FOR ME!! Literally!! I saw - I learned - I am changed! This is the second time I have been and I hope to go many more times in the future!!!




We drove the Southern Route because I drove down to Visalia to pick up the girls! We left at 0-dark:30 so that we could attend church in Las Vegas! The night before I was tempted to call the Green's (a wonderful family that i know that live in LV) but I thought it might be too hard to meet up...so we're sitting in Sacrament Meeting and Bro. Green walked in!! It was so cool! I love that man! The rest of the fam was driving back from Utah so he was the only one I got to see - but just think - out of 22 STAKES in Las Vegas - we ended up at THEIR ward! Too cool!


I have never paid much attention to the UTAH drive before! I have either slept the entire way or somehow avoided it all together - but I must say that I have never seen such awesome scenery!!! I was in awe about 90% of the time!! We drove right through Mesquite (sorry Celeste! I didn't get your message until after the trip!!!)


Monday - We Shopped and shopped and SHOPPED!!!


Dinner - every blogger I've seen loves this place!!
Then we visited with Cousin Misty and her ADORABLE baby Brooklynn!
And we brought some COVETED Dr. Pepper for Dustin!
The Family! Can you tell what's most important to these new parents?

Me and Mom shared a Dorm! So many memories!

Planning out the next day!...or are they sleeping? In the same TWIN bed? hmmmm....
Sitting in line for the next class! Do you see Julie's EXCITED FACE?
Lovin' the classes!
There were more pictures from more classes - but does one really need to see us sitting in a bunch of classes? I think not!
Christine - a good friend from Visalia - hung out with us during most of the classes - she and Julie were usually having TOO much fun!!!

Tuesday Night we saw "Pride and Prejudice - A Musical" - and loved it!!!

Wednesday we went to more classes and then to - The Nephi Show!

Ignoring the NO PHOTOGRAPHY!!!! I took a pic of "THE TREE OF LIFE" - after the show!!! That tree was something else!!!

Every night after classes, shows, food, and ice cream we watched the OLYMPICS!!!

Thursday after classes and Lunch we drove to Salt Lake City!

We attended the temple and took family names! One - I had never been to the SLC Temple to do a session (WOW!) and Two - I have never done family names before (DOUBLE WOW!!) Such a cool experience! Definitely TRADITION worthy!
After the temple, we walked around the BEAUTIFUL grounds! So much has changed!!!
We ate and the Lion House Pantry! One of Brigham Young's houses!! Yummy!
After Dinner we saw "Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration" movie at the Joseph Smith memorial building! I learned - I cried - and cried some more!!! SO awesome!

Then we RAN over to the Conference Center to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir because they practice every Thursday night! And it just so happened that the director let them out a little early that night!! grrrr!!!

Friday we were spiritually fed with more AWESOME classes and then that night we went to another concert! It was the 2008 EFY CD kick-off concert! Evidently there were only about 200 of us who knew about it! I just saw this random poster in the Cougar Eat earlier in the week - so we went! It felt like a private concert! Second Row!!! LOVED IT!!!

John Bytheway was the MC! He was hilarious - like always!!


John did HIS version of "Popcorn Popping" and the Band joined him - impromptu! It was the coolest part of the show!
Among many awesome performances we saw - Daniel Beck - from the "Liken the Scriptures" movies - King Saul and the Head Lion ! So good and soooo cute!
Here we all are! whew!
Saturday morning we headed for home! We drove the NORTHERN Route - through the gorgeous Salt Flats because everyone came to my house so we could sing in my ward!

I had a wonderful time! I learned so many things! I loved walking around BYU and feeling the spirit that is always present there!!! I hope I can put into action everything that I learned! I want to be a little kinder, a little more patient, a little more spiritual, serve a little more, and develop my talents a little more! I am "taking it home with me!"

6 comments:

..Kris Naven.. said...

I am so glad you guys had a fun time! I would LOVE to do something like that one day!

Anonymous said...

What a fun photo journal of your experience! Sorry about Thursday night (just your luck, because it really never happens) - Hope you will come back soon and attend a broadcast or performance. Best wishes!

Lisa said...

How fun! Glad you had a great time and you're back home safe. Share some of your great new wisdom!

b.liz said...

What incredible experiences you were able to pack into that short trip. It looks like you had a fabulous time...but I suspect that you ALWAYS have a fabulous time wherever you are. You're just that kind of person! (Also, I'm super jealous of your spiritual/fun trip with your sisters and NO KIDS! I need to start that tradition with my sisters.)

Lawrensons said...

thanks again for swinging by and spending time at our home. the dp has been hard to manage, i want to drink it all at once. one of these nights i'll have to blog about the heaven send.

-Dustin

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! Or should I say Dot! I had an absolutely wonderful time with all my girls at BYU Education Week. I came back rejuvinated and ready to hit the sidewalk running.

Your song that you girls sang in Sacrament meeting was the best ever. You girls light up my life.

We will see you guys tomorrow. Be sure to bring everything that is important to the kiddos.

Love you all.