Saturday, February 16, 2008

Home Again...

Have you ever walked into a place and took a deep breath and you knew you were home? You recongnized the sounds, the smells and the feel of the cheap carpet beneath your feet? It had been so long since you went there but it felt like only yesterday. So many memories you have of this special place. So much time you spent there. You know that when you are there, you're home!
Well....
We wanted to go out for Valentine's Day but the only babysitter we have ever had here has a boyfriend! I think it's taboo to ask a girl to babysit whose got a boyfriend. I didn't want to babysit when I was in high school when I had a boyfriend. Wait...I never wanted to babysit. And if I did have a boyfriend - I usually took him babysitting with me. That seems wierd to me now, but it didn't back then.... Anyway, so the dilemma. Do we find a new babysitter or just don't go out? Or, heaven-forbid take the kids with us? eek! We always take the kids with us and they are always loud and distruptive to the other patrons of the restaurant. We haven't even dared take them to a movie theater. Ashlyn couldn't care less for the TV except to change the channels and Aaron just started watching "parts" of the Disney movies. He usually wants me to fast forward to all the scary parts. The more danger - the better.
So, my solution - I called up a friend and asked her if I could watch her kids on Valentine's Day so she and her husband could go out! I know, I know....saintly. Somebody should be doing something romantic on Valentine's right 'cause you know it wasn't going to be me. Well, actually she then in turn watched our kids on Friday night!
Can I get a Hallelujah from the crowd? Hallelujah!! We had such a good time. I didn't worry about the kids once! Hallelujah again!!
Paul and I went to the movies!! The movies!! When we were dating (and the 5 years of marriage before we had kids) that's what we did. The movies!! That is 7 years of a whole lot of movie watching!


We had not been to a movie together in 22 months!! When I walked into the theater I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and recognized the smell of the movie theater popcorn. I love popcorn! I love the movies! I was home again! It was so good to be home!
After the movie we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner! Yum Yum!! I felt like a different, rejuvinated, person after our date night. I can't even remember the last time Paul and I ate dinner alone together. The dinner and the conversation was excellent!
Something that we will definitely have to do more often!
Thank you Pauly for the wonderful Valentines Day! Thank you for dinner, the movie, flowers and the gift certificate to Spa 56!!! But most of all thank you for being my husband and being you!

Ashlyn was an angel!

Ollie was a dream!

Aaron and EJ had a blast!!

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Gift certificate!! You lucky, lucky girl!! Ooohhh...I am jealous! And Texas Roadhouse is the BEST! I am glad you guys got a night out. That is how we do date nights. We watch our friends four kids once a month while they go out, and then they watch ours one night. It makes it free, not too overwhelming (it is just once a month) and we get out!! Once again, cute, cute kids!!

..Kris Naven.. said...

How wonderful was the date night!? Loved it! Thanks so much for the swap, it was definitely needed, and it was so nice to get out, and just hang out with each other. The kids did have so much fun, and I'm so glad you didn't have to worry about the kids, that makes me feel good, and I know Aaron loves coming over and is comfortable with it now, cause he just came in and acted liked he owned the place, and was just jibber jabbering to me like crazy! We will have to do it again sometime soon! Have a wonderful rest of the day, and I'll ttyl! Love you!

Love Always,
Kris

Lisa said...

Trading kids always works great. I can't really remember the last time Nick & I went to the movies. How Fun! Glad you two were able to go out.