Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dance, Dance, Dance!!

I like to Dance!! Do you like to Dance? I'd forgotten I liked to Dance!!! Yeah sure I dance around with the kiddos but it's different when there is music playing you love, friends around and everyone is dancing!!!

It has been such a long time since I danced. Am I really that old? Let's see.....
I loved to dance when I was in middle school. We competed all over the place against high schools and won!!




When I got to high school I was still involved in choirs that danced. I loved those choirs!! We danced in Jazz Choir, we danced in Encore - a group of LDS high school students from the central valley, and we even danced while people were taking our pictures!!
I loved church dances when I was in high school. I even went to a few different stakes just to have new dance partners! ;) Everyone danced. Well almost everyone!! We all danced to the fast songs and danced to the slow songs. I remember dancing with the same boy to Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do..." at every church dance ever. He would sing at the top of his lungs each time. I remember how much fun it was to do the Electric Slide in a huge group! I remember getting so excited to go to a dance because you hoped 'that' boy would be there and you hoped you would get to dance with him. And you always did!! He had no idea, but you were in heaven! It was so fun to dance with so many boys! Everyone always said yes...and if they didn't...they were dumb and not worth the dance anyways! I remember at the end of every dance being sooo hot!!! We would all sing "Goodnight sweetheart well it's time go..." at the end of every dance-night and then we'd all make a dash for the door so we could get out before they turned the lights on!! Afterwards, in the younger years, we would all go to Denny's for dessert....in the older years we went to Hogi Yogi. It was so fun!!!

I remember the ward youth dances! Oh my! I remember there was this one boy who was the biggest jerk at school but then he would ask me to dance at church...I always thought "you have got to be kidding!" But I never said no and I always prayed it was not long one. It's funny to think back and remember that the one song that was great to dance to with someone special was the "turn around, every now and then I get a little bit....da da da...turn around" - the song was like 7 minutes long!!! Oh but good heavens did you ever have the issue of a boy asking you to dance to a fast song!!! NO no no! Those are reserved for groups and girls. Boys, stay away!!

Oh yeah and EFY dances (stake and BYU)....don't get me started! Boys, boys, boys!! (Did you know that as a youth 99% of mormon boys are cute - and the other 1% is in your ward!) Do you remember the "pass-along-cards"? Did any of you have one? The kind of card that said - "If you give it back I get a hug; If you drop it I get a kiss; If you keep it I get a date..." Good Times!!!!!

I remember loving to go to school dances. It was fun to dance with that one special boy....until he left you to dance with your arch enemy...but don't worry I'm over it! NO really....;) that mouse! Anyways...it was all fun.

















I remember loving the girls-choice dances too! We got to dance, dress causal and hang out with good friends. What ever happened to those days?




By the time I got to college - YSA dances were even more fun!!! There you could dance with boys that really knew how to dance. Swing dancing was the best and I always had the best partner. We all still danced and we all still had soooo much fun...

And then you get married! And you don't dance!!! I'm trying to remember if I have danced with my husband since our wedding day. I guess there have been a few times, at other weddings, but until last night that was it!

We went to a dance!! We danced!! We dance to slow songs, fast songs and we (actually just me and a bunch of people - not him) danced the Electric Slide! I love to dance!!!




Last night I danced with my sweetie!

I danced with my girl-friends!!And I danced with my good-friends!
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES!!!!



8 comments:

..Kris Naven.. said...

This is so cute! Is Paul ok with pics of you and all your old boyfriends? :) Ummm-Hmmm! Anyways, I love dances too, and even though I wasn't a member until after high school. I never missed a single high school dance! And I loved going, they were my favorite! I loved dancing at our wedding too, and Jake sure knows how to shake his booty! Glad you had fun on friday! That's awesome! Love you!

Love Always,
Kris

Cristy said...

Paul loves all my old boyfriends! He thinks they are some of the coolest cats around! ;)
Our next son will actually share a name with one of them! lol!!! Paul gets to name the boys - and me the girls! So it's his choice - and well....

Lisa said...

Oh, Cristy! Yes, I remeber those days. . . What a RIOT! And "THE HOG!" I've completely forgot about that! Hey, is that a picture of you and one of the HANKS boys who moved from Boise??? Those boys could dance!

Cristy said...

Lisa-
What do you mean "moved from Boise?" I am with two Hanks boys there, but I don't think the latter ever lived in Boise. Did the former? The one I'm with in the white dress. I also have the pic, somewhere, of the "other" one (if you know what I mean!) at Hogi Yogi right before he went on a mission. But which one are you talking about?
Please elaborate!

Lisa said...

For some reason, I seem to remember (could be falsely, though) that the Hanks Family moved to Clovis/Fresno from Boise. And somehow I had it in my head that because they moved from Boise, All Boise, Idaho boys could dance as well as they could. (I still haven't discovered if that's true or not. ;)

Are the two boys in your pictures brothers? . . . I also remember the Hanks boys' manners such that if a girl came to their table, they would ALL stand up until she sat down. If there wasn't a chair, they immediately offered her THEIR chair.
Am I thinking of the right boys? The same family?

I just remember one Hank boy danced with me at the New Year's Eve party in Fashion Fair Mall when I was like, 15. Not sure if I remember just which one. . .
Okay, I'll stop before I get too far down "memory lane". . . fun times, though. for sure.

Cristy said...

Lisa-
I don't remember where they moved from - just where to. But, they are brothers.
Check your email...

Lisa said...

Ever wonder what they are doing now? Or other people you used to know?

Cristy said...

Only sometimes...and then I go and check their blogs. ;) lol!!!
-as for the "others"...sometimes I guess. I just hope they are as happy as I am.