Monday, July 21, 2008

Kindred Spirits

MONTH IN REVIEW CONTINUED...

I have a had few relationships in this life that have withstood hurt, heartache or sorrow. It could be me. I don't think one really knows if one is the problem in a relationship. I think that would be like knowing you're going insane. Those who are - don't know it... Anyways, so I have a few - as Anne Shirley would put it - kindred spirits. The kind of friend that calls just to call. Sometimes I have a hard time being that friend. I think I try though. But I have had relationship that feel one-sided. Have you ever had one of those? The kind where you're always the one calling to see if they want to do something, or always the one seeing how they are doing? It's not a real self-confidence builder. Did you ever have someone say, "She thinks we're better friends than we really are..." That one hurts!
But then there are friends that stand the test of time. You may have that one friend that really understands you. When things get rough they can really empathize rather than just sympathize with you. They understand you because they have been through what you have been through. They have walked in your shoes! This friend doesn't have to live near you - or next door (although that does help sometimes...) Most often this friend could live far away but when you get together it always feels like nothing has changed. You both may be different but you understand her and she understands you and you will always be kindred spirits!


JULY 5th


Mi familia stayed in Visalia for Saturday July 5th because on the 6th we were all traveling down to Pismo Beach for the week to go camping!! Yahoo!! Cool weather! Visalia was a blistering 100-and-who-cares...when it's over 100 degrees it just stinking hot!!!
But - another highlight was that my Super GREAT Friends the Sirman's came a visited the fam in Visalia!!! About a year after Paul and I got married we rented a Condo on Alamos Street. The Sirman's front door was right beyond my back gate!! Jen and I became fast friends. Kindred Spirits you could say.
We both moved and then Jen bought a Townhouse on a different Alamos street and soon after Paul and I bought Townhouse on that same Alamos Street!!! We live a few doors down from each other again!
I love Jen and her family as if they were my own!!! Yes, even Leif!! ;)

My Kindred Spirit...


her Husband...


their kids...so cute!


Our boys! So adorable!!!


CHEESE!!!


Love the blue eyes!!

All the boys LOVE red hair!!!
Pretty Girls!!

Big smiles!
Some things never change!!!

Thank you for being such wonderful friends!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once read that there are three kinds of people. 1.Those that watch things happen 2. Those that make things happen 3. And those that say "What happened?In reference to relationships,to quote a reliable source: "There are people who are great initiators and there are people who are great responders. If you are a great responder it still counts."Initiators are natural leaders.  Great responders make awesome followers. We can find great satisfaction in being both, depending on the situation.I had a very difficult but a valuable learning experience a few years ago that taught me that not everyone that I love will return that love. I thought I had met a Kindred Spirit until I learned that she was spreading rumors to mutual friends. I thought it was something I had done. No matter what I tried to do to earn her friendship, she viewed me as her enemy. She wasn't really my enemy she just wasn't responding to my efforts.I eventually realized that she wasn't interested in cultivating a frienship with me.

I became clear to me that no matter who we are, not everyone will desire our friendship. And that is ok. One sided friendships are like you said, are unfullfilling. But when people respond to us, that is a good thing. And move on when they don't respond.

But we all want to be like the Savior and love as he loves. But not all will be our best friends. And that's the way it is. But Best Friends are far and few between and Kindred Spirits are rare.

Please forgive me, my comment turned into a sermon. I guess the bottom line is that we don't give other people permission to tell us how we feel about ourselves. The only person whoose approval we  seek is the Savior's. We strive to love everyone and when we are fortunate to have close relationships we count our blessings.

You my dear are one of my most beloved blessings. And that is better than a Kindred Spirit.

Love, Mom  
xoxoxoxoxo

Lawrensons said...

Pismo Beach now? Wow you have had a fun fun fun traveling summer!! Hope your week is a blast. I would love to be near the beach right about now! When are you coming to Utah? -- Misty