Monday, February 9, 2009

California Dreamin'

My family has moved from where I grew up. In fact, I don't have one immediate family member who lives in Fresno anymore. My parents and all of my siblings have moved on. "Moving On" only meant moving 50 miles down the road - but still - I think Fresno will always feel like home.
When I went to California a couple of weeks ago I went to Fresno a few times.
As I drove from the 99 to 41 I felt like, for the first time in a LONG time, I was home. The air is different. It smells and Yes - tastes different! I was in my own kind of heaven where I recognized almost everything. Driving by the buildings of downtown and through the city - I was home again!
I took Little Man to visit his Uncle Jeffy and I went to visit my BFF Becca. On my way back to Visalia from one of those trips I took a little detour by my old house. The house I grew up in. The house that holds all my childhood memories. It's still hard for me to believe that someone else lives there. I was surprised by the tears I shed as I got out of the car and told Aaron all about my house.
So many memories flooded back into my mind.
I remembered the pencil drawings on the door frame in kitchen that marked how tall we were all getting. The nights sitting around the T.V. watching our favorite shows. In elementary school we would play baseball, kickball, cops and robbers, pickle, city, all in front yard and in the cul-de-sac. I remembered collating the Sunday ads on Saturday night and then get rewarded by going to Thrifty's for ice cream! Chocolate Malted Crunch was my favorite. What happened to the days where a single scoop cost a quarter? We loved swimming at the neighbors house on hot summer days and then we'd lay on the hot pavement eating popcorn and drinking ice-cold grape cool-aid. I learned how to make cookies in that kitchen. I learned out to do my own hair and make-up in that bathroom. I learned how to play the piano in that living room. I read books for hours on end on that old gray couch! In high school I had my first real heartbreak in that living room. Also in high school it was there that I said good night to those awkward dates and kissed the special ones. My husband proposed to me on that door step. The trees over the top of the house used to be so small! The boys' room had belts for their wallpaper, the middle room was holly-hobby, and my room had pastel trees - until later when all that changed. The kitchen had a wall-papered ceiling and the carpet was blue! Oh how I miss that house!

I then drove by my church building. The Fresno Stake Center. A real church building with a real foyer with couches and a real cultural hall (Gym) with a real stage! Oh how I miss a "real" building!!!
I remember the church dances. The ward dances! Especially the Valentine ones! ;) I remember the mutuals, the road shows where I got my hair spray-painted BLACK!! The Youth Musicals! I loved the Musicals!! "From Cummorah's Hill" - "Faith in Every Footstep" - "Come Unto Christ" - "My Servant Joseph." I miss the youth musicals! The firesides, the hiding places! ;) The softball games, basketball games and volleyball games when the whole ward used to go to and support! The Pioneer days, early morning seminary, the laughs and tears and early Saturday morning piano and organ practices! Watching conference, the coughing ;) I miss that building!!

Oh - High School!! Something I would never repeat unless I was promised that I could do it different! It wasn't all bad...just too much of it! But I remember the singing, the musicals, playing basketball, the football games - oh the football games - the boys! The classes, the competitions, the A.P. tests (bleh), the swimming meets, the divers, the soccer player, the cowboys, the stoner (who made my life AWFUL my freshman year), the high school dances, that boyfriend, getting called to the Principal's office (that's a GREAT story) ;) and all the fun and awful (jealousy) things in between. And Fresno State...(after marriage)
The classes - I sometimes miss - but also SO GLAD that I am graduated!!!!!! I wish I would have applied myself in high school like I did at Fresno State! In High School I only really applied myself in the harder classes where I had some good competition! The lame classes - were...lame!

Still Proud!
And - my absolute most favorite restaurant that is special to Fresno! My Tri-tip Sandwich from Dog House Grill! We used to live right around the corner from here and Pauly and I would frequent this establishment!!!


Ah...the Savemart Center. When it was first built I wasn't a fan! Those who know me best (from H.S.) will understand if they read what's written on the bell tower (but I'll never admit it!) But now - I'm different! And I remember singing in the Savemart Center! Loving the Hockey Games, the Basketball games, AMERICAN IDOL TOUR!!!! I loved that!!!
But some things are changing while I am away!

And finally - I went to see my temple! I even got to see Sis. Thompson! I love that woman as if she was my own grandmother!!!
This is and will always be my temple! But like I always say...I'm willing to share! (but it's still mine!)
Married: April 2000 - Temple Opened: April 2000 ;)

Thanks for taking this trip down memory lane with me!

10 comments:

The Drinkwater Family said...

No problem!!! I was feeling the need to take a stroll!!! Justin and I were doing the same thing looking at pictures just last night of our life together. Reminiscing(sp?) is always fun, yet brings tears remembering old and fun times. Life passes tooooooo quickly!!!

Becca said...

You make me homesick for Fresno, and I'm still here! Loved all the memories, sometimes it's hard to remember what we miss about a place until we go back to it. Miss you guys tons! Oh-and the traffic on shaw by the savemart center is worse than it was before-is that even possible?

..Kris Naven.. said...

This was really cool, and it is so nice that you got to write down some of your old memories! I loved that Dog House Grill- it was fantastic, and thanks so much for sharing it with me when we visited Fresno together for Time Out For Women! That trip had many wonderful memories! I am so glad i got to share it with you and your family. It is cool that you got to take a trip down memory lane! Thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. They keep us warm on cold days.

You have been blessed with many gifts and blogging is definitely one of them.

You will find that everywhere you live you will have special memories.And those people who touch your life whereever you go will bring a change in you and you will continue to grow. I think that in moving on we appreciate more intensely the people and experiences we leave behind.

When we leave this life I am quite sure that we will appreciate its purpose more than we ever realized here. Why is that?

If we could be born old and grow young then we could reverse that attitude. I would take better care of my teeth. I would never use a charge card. I would .....on and on and on.

But the purpose of life is to learn and that is what we will do. Growing up is a process and not an event.

Love you babe.
The Mom

Lisa said...

Wow. That's all I'm going to say. Wow.

But then. . . ever get nervous you might run into some person you would rather NOT? (run into) nah, perhaps that's just me.

The Smith Family said...

Fun to see the changes! We moved out here in 2002, before the Save Mart Center was built. So many changes, it was weird to drive through Fresno when we went out there this past summer. All the red light cameras on 'my' end of town, so much difference, so overgrown. BUT oh how I miss the Chocolate Malted Crunch!:) We tried to endulge in many of my favorite Fresno foods and THAT was one we missed! Maybe when I visit again in, hmm, 2 more years...or more? It does make a difference when our parents don't live there anymore. A big difference in how often we see the extended family there.

Kirsten said...

I am glad you got to spend some time at home. It is fun to go back and reminisce about everything and kind of fun to see how much we have changed and grown since that time too. That is neat you got to experience that with your children. I'll have to take some pictures of Bullard and our home, etc next time we are back.

Thanks again for a fun evening! We loved spending time with you guys. I'll email you the pics sometime today...

Unknown said...

It's always fun to take a trip down memory lane! And just think once Paul and you settle down somewhere for more than 3 years you'll create a whole new set of memories in a new place. :)

Katherine said...

Are you guys alive??? How are you??

Anonymous said...

Ok my friend! You should be so pleased to know that you are my first official comment on any persons blog! EVER! I just wanted to say hi and that I am so glad things are well with you. I noticed a Disney countdown thing happening on your blog. Are you coming through beautiful Bakersfield???:) Hey, I loved your pics of Fresno. Reminds me of great times with you! Love ya! Jen